Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Mmmm Choux à la Crème!

It's been quite some time since I've made Choux à la Crème, a.k.a. cream puffs. So as I would for anything that I make, I went on a hunt for a recipe. I browsed through dozens of recipes and decided on one that was entitled, Julia & Nora Cream Puffs for the puffs themselves and then went to Baking 911 for the pastry cream. Now, I've always had trouble making these things stay puffed up, and I was reading that you have to let the steam out so they don't collapse. Well, I was successful with some. If you have any other suggestions on making it light and puffy as they should be, please do let me know.



The puff part was easy. I think it's the cream that I definitely need to work on. The whole tempering the egg mixture with the milk...it can be a little tricky. It tastes great, but not quite the consistency and texture that I'd like it to be. I want it to be smooth and glossy, but instead it wasn't so smooth looking. It wasn't lumpy, but it just wasn't smooth.



So as you can see...they turned out ok. They tasted pretty darn good. I think a few more trials and I'll get it just right!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you ladies need a taste-tester; all these baked goods can't be too healthy for ya. As such, I will begrudgingly volunteer to be that taste-tester for any home baked pastries. Ha!

    ReplyDelete