Sunday, July 25, 2010

Light and fluffy!

It's been quite some time since I've actually posted something. I finally found time to squeeze in some baking last week, but had no time to actually put up a post.

So I've been trying to get my recipe right for a good and moist red velvet. I think I'm close, sorta. I don't know. This one I made was more moist than my previous ones, but still not quite what I would like. The frosting isn't your traditional cream cheese frosting. Although I like the cream cheese flavor and the fact that the normal frosting crusts up, it's way too sweet. So this time I took a swiss meringue frosting and added cream cheese to it. It came out very yummy and fluffy, but perhaps not enough cream cheese. I'll have to try adding a little more next time. The fluffiness of the frosting goes well with the denseness of the cake though I think. It's a nice balance. Only thing is that it doesn't hold up quite as well as I'd like it to when it's warm outside. Gotta work on that part.

So here we are with my second attempt at a coconut cupcake. The first time I made it, I had used coconut milk and the cake came out way too dense...me no like! So this time around, Annie gave me her coconut extract to try out and it was much better. I had baked this about 3 days prior to actually frosting it with the same cream cheese swiss meringue that I had used for the red velvet. Funny thing is that the cupcake was much more moist on the third day than it was on the first. I didn't like it all the first day...it was too dry. Seems like the sugars started coming out more after a few days. And again...the fluffy frosting went very well with the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment