Saturday, July 10, 2010

Chewy and Crispy Oatmeal Toffee Choco Chip Cookie

I needed to break away from the cupcakes...just a short bit...

I started off baking cookies years ago, and I'd have to say my best cookies are oatmeal raisin and oatmeal chocolate chip. Now with the toffee, it's a little bit more exotic! It was several months ago when a friend of mine sent me an oatmeal toffee chocolate chip recipe that he got from someone else. I made it the way the recipe had directed and it was a bit too greasy for me with all the butter. So this time around I reduced the butter a little bit and it was much better. This cookie is soooo good, I couldn't have just one!

They turned out very crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside, just how I like it. The toffee adds a nice flare to the cookie. The first batch in, I only baked for 10 minutes, the second batch for about 12. You can see the difference in the cookies in the picture here. I like the one that was left in longer. It was a bit more crispy, even the next day. But if you like your cookie a little bit more chewy, take it out at 10.





Oatmeal Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 ½ all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 c. salted butter

½ c plus 2 Tbs. granulated sugar
½ c plus 2 Tbs. light brown sugar
1 egg

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 ½ c. oatmeal

1 c. semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

1 c. toffee pieces (5 ½ oz.)


Heat oven at 350 degrees. Sift together flour and baking soda and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl once or twice during the mixing.

Add egg and mix on high speed to combine. Add vanilla extract; mix to combine. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the sifted flour, a bit at a time, on a low speed until well combined. Add oatmeal, chocolate, and toffee pieces; mix to combine.

Scoop with cookie scoop and bake on parchment-lined baking sheets until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a baking rack to cool. Makes about 3 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment